In FLEX you can access 4 types of content:
1. the one you upload
2. book extracts or journal articles uploaded by other institutions
3. publishers' e-textbooks
4. British Library scans.
In Step 4 of the workflow, you can see if any content is available from other institutions or from publishers. If no content is already in FLEX, you can either upload your scan or order a scan to the British Library.
Note: By default when we set up your FLEX account, you won't have access to the British Library scanning service unless you contact our support team to set up your British Library account.
Benefits of setting up a British Library account:
- Access an additional source of very high-quality scans of any of the 80m+ works from the British Library within 48 hours.
- The setup is free.
How it works:
- Only admin fees apply when you order a scan from the British Library. These fees vary depending on the scan you are ordering. In FLEX, you will always be presented with an estimate prior to confirming your order so that you can choose not to use that service for a specific reading.
- If you approve the order, you can track its progress in many ways. Check our dedicated article.
- If you need to cancel the order once you have already approved it, please contact the British Library as soon as possible but they may not be able to refund it if too late.
- You will be charged directly by the British Library for each successful order.
- You will not be charged if the British Library is unable to fulfil your order.
How to set up a British Library account:
Please contact email@example.com so that we can send you the form to complete and further instructions. It's a very short and easy process.